When buying a home in Brookside, you don’t want to overpay for the house…but there are some features worth paying more for. As you visit Brookside homes and compare different features, here are some tips to remember. It’s worth paying more for…
1. A private driveway. When you have a shared driveway, several issues can come up: how will snow removal be handled? What if the driveway needs resurfacing? Will your neighbor keep the drive clean and free of trash, debris, toys, yard tools? Having a private driveway keeps you in control of that property. If the house you want has a shared drive—be sure to meet the owners on the opposite side of the drive to discuss these issues.
2. All brick exterior. Many homes in Brookside were built with stucco, wood shingles, and many are all brick. The look is appealing, the maintenance isn’t as much as shingles or stucco (those need a paint job every so often). Brick is long lasting if kept properly tuck pointed and repaired when necessary. Brick homes are sturdy and worth the extra expense.
3. A larger, updated eat in kitchen. Renovating a kitchen is time consuming, expensive and disrupts the entire house! If you find a home you like with a recently remodeled kitchen, especially if there is a built in dining area, it’s a real asset to the home. If you like to cook—be sure you buy a home with kitchen space large enough to spend a lot of time in.
4. New windows. Most of the Brookside homes were built in the 1920s, and many have the original windows. Replacement windows can cost $500 per window and up. Having newer thermal windows will save on your utility bills, are easy to clean and operate.
5. A home not too close to commercial property. Sure, it’s a plus to be within walking distance of the Brookside shops, restaurants and other amenities…but a home that backs to commercial businesses or is next to a parking lot isn’t quite as valuable.
Overall, Brookside homes hold their value. It’s a walkable, friendly community that offers a great location, charming homes, lots of trees, a walking path and many different price ranges. These tips should help you compare pricing as you home shop in Brookside. If you would like to browse Brookside homes for sale…contact me for an updated list!